Sandi Nypaver is an accomplished ultrarunner. She did her first 100 miler at 21 years old and has been on a running journey through life ever since. She recently qualified for the USA’s Long Distance Trail Running Worlds team and was injured just days before the race. Most people (including a younger version of Sandi) would be demoralized and have trouble shaking that experience. But when I asked today’s Sandi how she feels about it, she said, “It’s all better…actually I think I’m now running better now (more efficiently) because it happened.”
But Sandi didn’t always see the world in a positive way. Her journey to love and acceptance started young and is admittedly ongoing, but the strides she’s taken to pull herself away from self-hate and into self-love are worth sharing for anyone else who believes you are not valuable.
Today we talk about:
- Finding a place of peace in life – the long winding path to self-love
- What we say matters: How words from others formed her self-image as a young girl
- The identical twin experience
- Exercise addiction
- Social anxiety
- Cutting to numb the pain
- How to change your self-image from hatred to love
- Volunteering gives people purpose
- Connecting the dots: Each experience leads to greater understanding of yourself
- Sage: How her boyfriend helps her look at the world in a more positive way
This is such a great episode: it’s raw and filled with deep emotions yet hopeful that change can happen. Please take a moment to share this episode with someone who needs it, because at the end of the day, we’re all in this together.
Be sure to follow and connect with Sandi:
- Sage Running: If you need a coach, look no further!
- Facebook: @sandi.nypaver
- Instagram: @sandinypaver
- Youtube: Vo2Max Productions
- Sage Running Podcast
All right then you know what time it is, it’s time to get out there and run this world. Have a great workout and we’ll see you next week!